if you play your cards all night, you come out even

Throwing down an ace

All in on red, lucky number nine

And still you lose the hand

But keep those notes a coming

As it will even out

No matter what the naysayers tweet

That the house, the big bad guys

Will always win and leave

You in the gutter looking up.

I heard somebody once say that if you play your cards all night, you come out even – meaning that you shouldn’t give up just because things are a bit rough; as long as you keep going, things will even out.

And I guess that means that if you have a really bad run of things, not only will things get better, but they will have to get really good for a while in order to even things out.

I know the world isn’t always that simple and you do hear of some people who have either good or bad luck for their entire life. But it is scientific fact that every force has an equal and opposite reaction, so surely those negative forces that sometimes smash up our lives have something working with equal force in the opposite direction.

I know that a lot of people think that vibrations and energies that attract things is a whole load of woo woo, but I like to think there’s something in it.

At the moment, I’m too scared to rock the boat and I quite enjoy bobbing along on an even keel. However, there are times when I think it would be quite nice to jump overboard and take some risks. At least if I sink, I’ll have something nice to look forward to further down the road!

Much Love

Rachel xx

2 thoughts on “if you play your cards all night, you come out even

  1. Margot Kinberg

    I think things have a way of evening up, too, Rachel. One of the basic Buddhist beliefs is ‘this is only temporary.’ Bad times are not permanent, and neither are good times. I’ve found that to be true for my life, anyway.

  2. Vic Crain

    No, things don’t even up, neither in cards nor in life. Not being a pessimist, it just is what it is.

    In gambling, statistically, a winning player knows when to quit. If you plan an infinite number of hands of cards or any other gambling game, you lose. In blackjack, which is by far the fairest game, the dealer or house has a probability of winning 52% of the time, leaving you with 48%. One wins by taking advantage of streaks and stopping. Better yet, if you bring $100 to a game, and you win $100 during the game, you take what you brought off the table so that you are gambling only with “house funds”. That protects you against loss. Of course, that only works if you score wins early in the game.

    The same logic applies to investing. You decide when you buy something how much you would feel comfortable making, and place buy and sell orders at the same time. Maybe you’ll miss a unicorn but most of the time you’ll avoid a loss.

    In life, we all die. The only question is whether we make our life have meaning and die with style. Others probably won’t remember what specifically you did or said. They will remember how you made them feel. I don’t recall the original source for that observation, but it is true.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.