I’ll make no apologies about saying that I have the biggest girl crush on two women and they are Mel Robbins and Rachel Hollis. I know that both of them can be a bit Marmite but I love them both, and unashamedly so. And the reason that I love them? Because they are not embarrassed to tell the world what they want and then get after at!
This post in itself is inspired by something I heard Mel Robbins say in a video I watched this morning. I was looking for a little bit of oomph so I did my usual and I put on some Youtube. And one of the first things that I heard was this: Don’t be embarrassed to give voice to your dreams.
Mel was saying that she had this vision that she wanted to be just like this guy who owned several talk shows and when she was in college it seemed like such a far out dream that she didn’t dare tell anyone. I mean, if someone asks what you want to be when you graduate and you tell them that you want to be a talk show host they’re going to laugh. Or are they?
Because deep down most people have a dream that is pretty wacky, so much so that they never say it out loud. Deep down those people are wishing that they too had the guts to say it out loud, because once you start declaring it to the world it frees you up to start working towards it. The fact of the matter is that most people will secretly be really jealous that you have the courage to come out with it and say what you really want.
So with that in mind, I want to declare what my weird and wonderful dream is. I don’t care that it is embarrassing to admit it, because I know that the only reason it’s embarrassing is because I’m so far away from it at the moment.
My goal is to be able to stand up and inspire people just like Mel and Rachel. I want to give people courage and that little bit of pazazz that they need to get on in life. I also want to have books that are traditionally published and make the bestseller lists and I want to talk on the radio. I’m not that interested in TV, but I’ve always had a thing about listening to people’s voices. I’m not cool enough to be on Radio One so maybe Two could be my place?
I really hope that this inspires you to step out and make your goals known. I’d like to challenge you to a few things and perhaps we can do them together? I’d really like to hear how it goes and whether you notice forward motion quickly or slowly? So here’s three things that I’ll commit to doing and I hope that some of you will too
- Tell at least three people in your life what you want to achieve. Say it with a straight face and conviction so that they know you’re deadly serious. I’d be interested to see what kind of reaction you get back.
- Take a step towards achieving part of your overall vision. I have no idea how to get into public speaking but I am going to try and land a gig. Give yourself a specific time goal. I’m going to say before the end of the year.
- Visualise achieving your goal every day.
- Tell a stranger that you’ve already achieved it. Obviously, if you want to win an Oscar and you’ve never even been on a film set, you might not want to go in with that. Perhaps tell someone that you’ve had a bit part on a day time TV show. Enjoy the praise and attention that you get so that you can try it on for size. It’s only a bit of fun and I’m not asking you to get yourself into trouble with any big lies! In fact, don’t call it lying, just call it experimentation!
- Start networking. Get material and positive vibes out into the world because it will all bounce back eventually. You don’t need to be suited and booted and handing out business cards at networking luncheons. That kind of thing makes my stomach turn. But do write lots of content and comment on people’s posts and profiles with energy and gusto.
- Have fun. This is the most important because what’s the point in achieving your goals if they are not making you happy? And you may tell that stranger that you’re an actress and hate the attention. If that’s the case then maybe you know you’re barking up the wrong tree. You might need to change direction completely or just modify your goals ever so slightly. My overall message is that life is a gift and we need to enjoy as much of it as possible. We can easily make mistakes and that’s not a bad thing if we learn from them.